Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Your Right... Can I Add

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Robert Garfinkle on September 15, 2001 03:03:12 UTC

But I say that a belief is not right or wrong, it's just a belief. Yes?

I go on.

A belief is no good any more when we find out the truth. After that, if a person believes the opposite of the findings, then I would say they were delusional.

The concept of GOD, whatever one percieves GOD to be, or not to be for that matter, it's very difficult. In the nicest way I ask you, are you suggesting that the more outrageous the belief the more delusional people are? I will wait for your commentary with respect to this question, before I give my thoughts on it.

The big bang. What about that. Scientists/Astronomers are getting closer to the big bang, they think. Is there a big bang?

Not suggesting GOD, but what if they get to a point, and find out that there was no a big bang, but something else. Could be possible. Yes?

Possibility, I think, allows belief(s) to exist, right or wrong. There was an equal chance that the Earth was flat before we had the means to accurately study it's exact shape/dimension. Yes?

What about theory vs belief. The dictionary defines theory as the following. Pardon my Merriam Webster reach:

Theory

1 : the analysis of a set of facts in their relation to one another
2 : abstract thought : SPECULATION
3 : the general or abstract principles of a body of fact, a science, or an art
4 a : a belief, policy, or procedure proposed or followed as the basis of action b : an ideal or hypothetical set of facts, principles, or circumstances -- often used in the phrase in theory
5 : a plausible or scientifically acceptable general principle or body of principles offered to explain phenomena
6 a : a hypothesis assumed for the sake of argument or investigation b : an unproved assumption : CONJECTURE c : a body of theorems presenting a concise systematic view of a subject

Is a theory a kissing cousin to a belief?

I usually here the word theory used in the scientific studies of anything.

Is there delusion/ignorance in scientific study/studies? If so, does that suggest a weak scientist?

Robert

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins