Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Pretty Big... For A Smoker!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Robert Garfinkle on September 8, 2001 05:26:50 UTC

OK, It was an exageration, but I find it rediculous that anyone would send a letter(s) to our government saying there is subversion here (if I got the jist of it). I do not see it, we have some disagreement, OK, no big deal, and we have a few people posting that really take offense to others responses. I don't like the offense being taken, I can try to offer some peaceful words to calm "the floor", as I'm sure no one wants "Dust Kicked Up", but letter sending is quite extreme.

No offense to Jisbond, the series of laughs were an exageration. Jisbond knows how I feel about what he posts. He has a right to post/react in any fashion he likes, I do not get offended by his posts, nor do I mind his style. I think he is trying to convey his thoughts in the best manner he can. What I would not like to see is refute, but questions to Jisbond regarding why he answers how he does. How he sees himself in his religion, and way of life. Not as a bad thing, not at all. So when Jisbond does answer us, we understand better why he responded the way he did.

I am Jewish, I have rock solid core beliefs in one GOD, and Jisbond has ultra rock solid beliefs in ALLAH (Also one GOD) and ways of life, like a lot of people do. If we can better understand his absolute core stance, then we have a better chance of understanding his replies, and an equal chance of respect/acceptance of what he states.

So in Jisbond's and my religious backgrounds, we see very similar views with respect to one and only one "Higher Power", there is no exception, NONE whatsoever. No bending the rules, laws, or beliefs. NONE.

I would imagine that he cannot speak in a manner that would suggest breaking his beliefs at all. Knowing that, Jisbond will respond in certain ways that we can/will take the wrong way, and get pissed off because it would seem like an unfair shot at what we believe or can make sense of.

I would also imagine that if Jisbond did veer away from his belief, even one trillionth of a percent, then it might as well not be a belief at all, and ALLAH would be very displeased. Maybe this is not for me to say or right for that matter. Really Jisbond should reply, not me I don't know much about his religion except for one thing. There is NO, ABSOLUTELY NO exception to any rules, laws, commands, teachings, etc...

Just as our religion believes, there is no exception to the belief that there is only ONE GOD, if that is broken, then there is no Judaism in the eyes of that person. By the way, we have, what I would call, three different strains (Intensities) of belief (Orthodox,Reform,Conservative) respectively, we all believe that there is one GOD, but the divisions reflect how much/far a group or person is willing to devote time/energy/and way of life to show their belief. No intensity is less or more right than the other, although I'm sure that could and would be debated.

So with a bit more understanding, I say, if Jisbond appears to knock a religion, pay attention to the word "appears", or respond very sharply, then it's possible that Jisbond can't reply, or won't reply any other way. As to why he sent a letter to our government, that I find a bit much, but after I've seen some of the harshness diplayed in this forum towards him, he may have felt that this was the only way to respond or whatever..

I don't know. I would like to find out from Jisbond what his motivation was. Maybe then I could become clearer as to why he felt that course of action was needed.

No offense Jisbond. Occasionally/once and a while I exagerate a bit to much, no hard feelings

Peace

Rob

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins