Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
So I've Run You Off Have I?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard D. Stafford, Ph.D. on January 3, 2005 18:02:27 UTC

No, that is not what I said about A. A is the SOURCE of the elements which define the sets called B. C is that finite collection of sets B which constitute everything available to you. A may be what you would like to explain but the entirety of A may not be available to you. If the number of elements in A is infinite then they certainly cannot all be available to you (no matter how much included, there must be more which is not - that's the definition of infinity).

Furthermore, the idea that A is entirely available to you implies that no possibility exists which might surprise you. Either you are all knowing or quite ignorant of your limitations (you just think you are all knowing).

You seem to have lost sight of the reason for the specification of those three different sets. Without defining those three sets, it seems to me that it is quite impossible to set up a general model of the concept "testable information".

If you already know everything, (A = C) then there exists nothing to test.

If you are truly giving up, then I am more sorry than you. I was hoping your ability to think on an abstract level was a little stronger than that.

But that's all right too -- Dick

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins