Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Natural Selection Should Not Include Extinction

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on October 19, 2004 12:22:34 UTC

Let's use your double slit/path integral argument.

When we integrate over all possible paths we find an interference pattern. Some paths are fit to survive the environment challenge posed by the double slit and others self desstruct, even on a photon by photon basis. That is a fair analogy for the operation of natural selection. Some paths are fit and others are not. BTW, I think this proves that waves exist and collapse into photons at the detector.

Now to extend this analogy to extinction. Extinction is as if we suddenly changed the environment say by closing one of the slits, or more subtly by just detecting which slit a photon goes through. (by collapsing one set of waves at the slit)

In that case the entire interference pattern is lost. The analogy breaks down in that every path through the other slit now survives. I guess the better analogy would be to close both slits. Then no path survives.

So I do not think it is correct to apply the idea of natural selection to such catastrophic events that entire species and 80-90% of all life are destroyed.

By the way, have you followed the public TV programs on the supervolcano underneathh all of Yellow Stoned Park. That will not be a nice day.

YHS,

Richard

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins