Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Clocks In Motion

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Timothy Storer on April 21, 2003 09:30:36 UTC

I'd like to pick apart time dilation and no one I know in person seems to have both the apptitude and interest required.

Claim: A clock in motion runs slower than a stationary clock.

Experiment: Supposedly they used the same property used in atomic clocks, set one in motion, brought it back home and verified that less time had passed for that clock than the control clock on the ground.

It may be that I misundeerstood the experiment or the claim, but here is my dispute with it all.

If we say that the control clock was near motionless during the experiment and that the clock in motion moved at a significant enough portion of the speed of light for the difference in time passage for each to be noticed then reletive to the frame of reference of the control clock the clock in motion moved at some velocity, X.

However, from the frame of referance of the clock in motion, the clock in motion had a velocity of zero at all times. From that frame of referance it was the control clock that move at some some velocity, -X. So, from the frame of referance of the clock in motion, we should have seen the opposite dilation effect. The clock on the ground should have experienced less time.

One could say that it is only objects in motion that should experience this dialating effect, but I SAY that the frame of referance of the clock on the ground in no way supercedes the frame of referance that followed the clock in motion.

In other words the clock in motion is not in motion reletive to itself. There exists a frame of referance that follows the clock in motion and all natural laws of the universe should hold for that frame of refeance as well as any other.

Post replies here or e-mail them to me or both.
Thank you for reading.
timothy48342@yahoo.com

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins