Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
A Telescope For Christmas

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Christa Wilkin on December 9, 2001 21:17:30 UTC

Hi folks!

This November, my husband and I stayed up all night to see the Leonid meteor storm. He and I have always been fascinated by astronomy, but seeing those Leonids was fascinating, and left us both speechless and hungering for more!!

So I am trying to find a telescope to give my husband for Christmas. I checked out the Meade ETX's, and don't know if he would like them, because of their short battery life in the field when it's cold. We stayed out all night for the Leonids -- a computerized telescope could not last that long in cold weather (that is what I read on an another astronomy site, if that is incorrect please feel free to let me know).

I'm looking for something we can take out to a dark field with minimal to medium light pollution, set up without too much trouble and stay as long as we wish without worrying about any batteries going dead. Preferably something that enables us to see Jupiter's rings and clouds, Uranus and Neptune. Pluto is a long-shot (I think). My budget is up to $350. One reason why I'm asking here is that the people here have much more experience than I, and may have used a certain telescope as an amateur and liked it very much before moving moved on to "bigger and better" (i.e., more costly) equipment. I'd be interesting in knowing what favorite "amateur" telescopes you preferred.

Thank you for any help you can provide, happy holidays!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins