Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Mars

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Bob Sal on August 7, 2001 18:21:30 UTC

Hi Thom;
Maybe you can still return it. As far as Mars goes, even the best telescopes are getting a disapointing view of Mars. First it's low on the horizon so there's way too much atmospheric disturbance. Then there's the matter of the big dust storm going on there that's just about drowning out all the details. You should still get a good view of the Moon Jupiter and Saturn. I've never had a zoom eyepiece. I haven't heard anything good about them. Remember, you don't need real high magnification. Things will look sharper and brighter with lower power. Don't be too disappointed. Many people fall into the same trap and buy what looks, by the advertising on the box, to be a high power telescope. It's not about high power. I paid well over $5000.00 for my scope and a few accessaries. I look at most objects at 76x and 138x. I go higher on a few deep sky items and the planets, but that's really all you need. It's more about making dim items look bright than making small or far away items look big. There are galaxies up there 4 to 5 times the size of the moon. You can't see them because they are dim, not because they are far away. High magnification will not show them to you. Anyway, enjoy the planets and moon with your scope. You can also see with your scope open clusters M45 the Pleiades, IC4665 in Oph., the Double Cluster in Perseus and the Andromeda Galaxy in Andromeda. There's a beautiful Double Star in Cygnes called Alberio, one yellow and one blue star right next to each other. With the naked eye it looks like one star. You should be able to find these objects on the charts or beginner books I suggested. Have fun, start saving, Christmas is comming!
That's it;
BOB SAL

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins