Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Meade Starfinder Equatorial 10"

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul Rest/">Paul Rest on September 4, 1998 00:21:29 UTC

I do not own the Meade 10" EQ Starfinder, but here is what I've heard: the EQ mount is good enough for visual observing and short exposure astrophotography (like of the moon, planets and so forth). Meade always has very good optics in their scopes, top of their class often. I've heard problems with the Starfinder's venilation, but that was the 6" and the 10" might have better venilation. I've used the plastic focusers included with Starfinders and I have to say I was no impressed, they feel sloppy and jerky and I highly recommend that you upgrade to a metal body one or even a Crayford (like JMI's focusers). In terms of what you can expect, a 10" will show the spiral arms of M51 nicely, structure in lots of galaxies and stuff visible down to about 14th mag. Jupiter will show a great wealth of detail, festoons and such being visible between the belts, Saturn will show it's rings and cloud belts nicely as well, at higher powers things like the C ring and Encke's are possible but require good seeing. The better globulars like M13 or M3 are beautiful, with thousands of stars visible and so forth. Hope this is of some help, and good seeing.

-Paul

: Could someone let me know how good is the above telescopeand what I can expect to see. : Thank you.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins