Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Just Bought Meade Ds-114 Model Telescope Re Ack

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Lise Warmuth/">Lise Warmuth on December 13, 1999 03:24:01 UTC

: Ack! Be careful with that one - it is not as good of quality. It is not true autostar capable, it's just some stripped down hand controller, not even the the same as the basic hand controller with the DS 114-EC. I forget the exact name, it is quite misleading, it is a DS 114, but is then followed by someline like ESX. Basically the way to tell is that the main tube is black instead of white. Make sure you buy the DS 114-EC, not the other one.

I saw this one also at Wal-mart. But it is the Meade 114-EC model. I can't find any difference between the two, except that the Walmart model is black and the one at Natural Wonders and Discovery Store is white. I spoke with the folks at Walmart and they said they didn't know of any difference, supposed tha tmaybe Walmart had worked out some deal with Meade to produce it specially for Walmart? I notice they did produce one exclusively for Natural Wonders so this doesn't seem so off the mark. Why specifically do you think this one is no good? I'm thinking of buying it for a Christmas present for my husband, but hate to throw away $$338 on something that is not any good.

Lise Warmuth

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins