Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Just Bought Meade Ds-114 Model Telescope Re Ack

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Jeff Munekata/">Jeff Munekata on December 14, 1999 16:19:10 UTC

I ordered a DS 114EC from Camera World, OR after going through a similar decision making process you are going through.

I first bought the 4501 (white, this is the econo version of the 4500 - has .96" eyepieces, and a plastic 5x24 viewfinder - 4500 has 1.25" eyepiece) from Price Club for $199. I then learned about the DS series and tried to find one at a warehouse superstore. BJs rep said they had one in stock and I rushed up to Delaware to buy it for $199, but it was a 114 EQ. Identical to the 4501 but in black.

I believe the black models are "department/discount store" models, and are "decontented". Meade makes many more models than appear on their website, tailored to specific distribution channels. I suspect the WalMart version has .96" lenses, and the plastic lensed 5x24 finder scope.

I settled on the "DS 114-EC" which comes with 2 1.25 lenses, the glass 6x30 finderscope and has autostar capability. Camera World price was $379 with free UPS Blue (2day) shipping (through Dec 20). Sky and Telescope has an excellent review of these distinctions in the DS series at: http://www.skypub.com/resources/testreports/telescopes/9909robotic.html

This is the review that sold me, and I am a novice looking to enjoy astronomy with my seven year-old. If I could find the "Wal Mart version" I would probably bought it. I certainly would have bought an Autostar controller from them.

If your husband has any astronomy experience, he is going to want the 1.25" lenses, though the 114 series are upgradeable.

Happy Holidays, Jeff Munekata

: I'm thinking of buying it for a Christmas present for my husband, but hate to throw away $338 on something that is not any good.

: Lise Warmuth

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins