Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Need Advice On Which Scope To Buy

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Kip Crawford on August 29, 1999 08:24:22 UTC

Dave,

All the scopes you mentioned are good. If you plan on tracking objects or doing astrophotography get the 6" EQ mount. Now if you are going to just stargaze, get the 8" Dobs. Moving from one object to another on a Dobs is pretty easy and fast, if you know where you are going. Personally I don't use tracking devices because I don,t take photos'. If you really want to get good at this star stuff. Get a good Star Chart with all the sky objects on them. Look at the sky and learn to identify stars, constellations, planets etc. Once you get the hang of it, do alot of stargazing and look for the objects. Once you find a couple of them (and you will) you'll understand that the "hunt" is half the fun and once you find what your looking for it is quite thrilling. My advice is get the dobs. 8" Dobs is just as good as a 8" EQ. Same scope different stand.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins