Back to Home

Eyepieces Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Eyepieces | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Eyepieces

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Bob Sal on January 23, 2002 17:43:35 UTC

In the $50 price range, the Orion Serius Plossls are real good for the price. I'd advise to get one or 2 real good eyepieces at a time rather than a whole bunch of cheaper ones. It does make a difference on a larger scope. You don't really need say a 12.5MM, a 15MM and 17MM. Things don't look that much different at 125x than 150x. You wind up using two or three favorites anyway. It's best to invest the money in say a good 32MM or 40MM and something around 12MM or 15MM. Maybe then a smaller one for close up's or the planets. You could always add more later if you feel you need to. I have a 40mm, 22mm, 14mm & 8mm all cost between $230 & $300. I didn't get them all at once. I never use the 26mm that came with the scope or the 17MM or 10MM Serius Plossl I already had. Most your deep sky observing will be done at lower magnifications 50x to 150x is plenty for mose objects. The Naglers are great but real expensive, the Meads are great and a little less money. The Pantax and Teleview are great also. The Orion Lanthanums are real good to. You'll be real happy with any of these. The larger apparent field is real nice. If you look at 2 eyepieces with the same focal length and different apparent fileds, you'll see. It's like the difference between watching a 19" TV and a 35" TV. It's the same picture only bigger. The circle your looking at is bigger. It really makes a difference. It's more like looking into the sky. Once you get used to it, looking at a smaller filed is like looking at a cicle at the bottom of a tunnel.
That's it;
BOB SAL

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins