Back to Home

Eyepieces Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Eyepieces | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Eyepieces

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Bob Sal on November 12, 2001 15:21:51 UTC

Hi Robert;
I have a 12" LX200 (not the GPS). I have 4 main Eyepieces I use. I disagree witht the other post. I have the 40MM Serius Plossl $60 which was great on my 80MM refractor. I got the Meade Super Wide 40MM 67 degree $300 (76x) and let me tell you there's a big difference. It's like the difference between watching a 12" TV and a 35" TV. Same picture, bigger, better. I've seen the Meade 40MM super plossl in my my scope, just a little better than the Serius. The large apparent field eyepieces are worth every penny. After using them for a while, when I look into another eyepiece, it looks like I'm looking down a tunnel to a circle at the bottom of the tunnle. My next size is the Teleview PanOptic 22MM 68 degree $280. I use this almost all the time as my main eyepiece. At 138x it's crystal clear. Next is the Meade 14MM Ultra wide 84 degree. Great eyepiece at 218x. Jupiter, Saturn and the Moon are wonderful in this eyepiece. The contrast for small Galaxies and Plantary nebulas is great. Tight Double Stars split real cleanly. And last I went for the 8mm Teleview Radian 60 degree $228. This gives me 381x and you don't really need much more than that for anything. The atmosphere will not let you focus past 500x even on the best of nights. Maybe an APO refractor on the best of night will give a clear moon but that's about it. I went with the Radian because of the 20mm eye relief. With the other small eyepieces you just have to get your eye too close, I don't care for that. I use it mostly on the Moon and for real close doubles I've split some doubles down to 1 acr second in this eyepiece. I have a 2x barlow, never use it, don't like it. It adds another piece of glass to the system, don't need it. I get a good range of magnification with the 4 I have. I only used it on the 80MM refractor with the 10MM eyepiece. Wish I'd have just bought a 5MM eyepiece instead. I recommend getting a few good eyepieces. You will wind up using a favorite most of the time anyway. But don't take my word for it. Get out to a star party and see what people are using. You will see some using the plossl's and they are good. Most people using them are also using a $1000 or less Telescope. Look what the people using a $4000 Telescope are using. When you see the others you will see the difference. I also borrowed the Neagler 17MM 82 degree, fantastic! I also own a Teleview 32MM super plossl 52 degree $110. I bought that for the refractor, used it in the 12" till I got the better ones. It never finds it's way into the 12" anymore, neither does the 26MM plossl that came with the scope. Hope this didn't sound like I'm bragging about how much I've spent. I'm just saying, If you buy a $5000 receiver and CD player, you don't get $100 speakers to listen to it with. Sure they work, but come on! Same with the eyepieces. Get to a star party, check it out. You'll see, and seeing is beleiving.
That's it;
BOB SAL

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins