Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Space Is 1-Dimensional.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by thed/">thed on May 28, 1998 11:51:48 UTC

: : : Space is 1-Dimensional. : : Space is not a one dimensional straight line, that is obvious every time you open your eyes.

: I dont mean one dimensional straight line.

My apologies. I appreciate English is not your first language and I am pedant :) A dimension in Physics is a quantity you need to measure something.

: I mean i-dimensional that, space has only i-dimension, or maybe dimension is wrong word, : space is only what we see, and what we see we can draw a picture at 3-dimensional mathematics Z-Y-Z. : This talking 3-dimensional, and fourh dimensional world, make mixture, at real thing. : Like black-hole is good example. : Somebody has start to thinking that black hole is something where matter go, and gomin out some other 'dimension', other space.

You are thinking of the Science Fiction idea of other `dimensions' being other Universes. As the Universe is everyhting in creation this idea does hold together very well.

In fact, the idea of Black Holes being one end of wormhole to another Universe has been well studied in theory. Look up Einstein-Rosen bridges on the net, a good place to start is http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~zcapn39/blacknet.html. problem is that White Holes have never been observed so this remains as an intereting theory with nothing to back it. Physics is about describing the real world not creating fantasies that have no meaning.

: That is, what i mean, 1-dimensional world, space.

: My room where i live, is 1-dimensional, but everything what is in it, i can draw a picture, and i can put everything it own place, calculated place, with 3-dimensional mathematics. : Everything has own point to be at this space, this room. : And i can measure distances at every thing, like table, chair, mirror, window, etc. : And i can say, my table is Z-Y-Z-coordinates, and my cahir is other X-Y-Z-coordinates place, and between these two has some distance. : This distance has measured at measuring tape.

All very true but the distance you measure would disagree with the distance some one else measures if they travelling near to the speed of light. It is an effect called Lorentz Contraction.

: What is time.

A good working definition is "time is natures way of making sure everyhting does not happen at once"

: Time is that, how long it take to 'travel' between these two points, chair-table. : Time include speed, speed include distance, and basic is distance.

Wrong I am afraid. Distance is changeable due to Lorentz contraction. Time is changeable due to Lorentz Time Dilation. This is a real effect measured everyday in particle accelerators when the half-life of particles increases as their velocity gets close to c.

The basic thing is the constancy (invariance as it is called) of c and that there are no `special' observors. All things are relative.

What you are describing is the classic Newtonian absolute way of seeing the universe. When it was found that Maxwells equations for electromagnetic wave propagation did not work in a Newtonian Universe a modification had to be found. This is Einsteins Special and General Theory of Relativity. These are not theories any more, they have plenty of hard supporting evidence.

: When we speak at space, and spaces distances, we must draw a room, or a ball, which has these X-Y-Z coordinates. : Then we get really right picture at space, and we can expand this picture, when we see more, and more, at space. : That is, what i mean to clearly seed space.

Which is why they are building bigger and better telescopes.

: My opinion is; : Space is like room or ball-room, where is matter, which move, and then it make work, what we say, 'energy', and this work result is forms, livings, : beauties, etc,

Spacetime is a lot more complex than that. I think in essence you are right though.

:and we dont know, how big is it.

Very true but we do know it is VERY big.

: We dont know, what is it age(if it is important).

It is at least 12 Billion Years old, the age of the oldest stars found so far.

: I look that space, like room, where light born at lamp. : I dont see any reasons, why light has constant speed!

Read up on Maxwells Equations for Electromagnetic Waves. A fundamental result is that a wave has a fixed speed for the medium it is, including a vaccuum.

: I dont see any reasons, why electrons want to round atom center!

They are trapped in a potential well, energy well if you will. The position of the electrons depends on what energy they have.

: I dont known, how i can see through other atom, and ather atom dont. like glass and wood, or air and steel, or space and sun.

Depends on a large number of factors including the permetivity and permeability of the medium, interatomic spacing and energies of the outer orbital electrons of the atoms and molecules of the material.

Without wanting to sound condescending - just becuase you do not understand it does not mean it has not been worked out by some one else.

: Well. Amazing is this being.

Agreed

: Love. His.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins