Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Sorry - I Made A Mistake

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by pmb on February 16, 2000 11:38:53 UTC

I'd like to appologize. I made the same mistake here that I did at another forum. There I said that I wouldn't read messages written byt spammers and look what I've done. I read that one. My mistake. I'll try not to make it again zc.

(It also appears that experiments were done and reported even before I asked the gentleman that question.)

But first a lesson in trying to keep an open mind. Take this as a suggestion and not as an insult. I notice that you take corrections and differences in opinions as either insults or something other than intended - As you would say zc you misunderstood what I wrote or you simply posted off topic. Otherwise I see no point for that post.

But if you were trying to explain why nothing canb travel faster than light then you need to step back and first ask why someone would say such a thing instead of repeating what I stated (it was imnplied that I knew it - hence what I meant by "I tried to explain it") If you read my post carefully you saw me use the term superluminal communication. That is the key word communication. Not travel. Big difference. One violates the laws of physics, the other may not. Still an open question in physics.

From Scientific American, page

Yes. That is undergrad special relativity. I was talking aboiut superliminal communication. That still seems to be an open question but there were experiments done which seemed rather convincing and was rather popular in the media a while back. The phenomena: quantum nonlocality.

From Scietific American August 1993, page 52 (intro) Experiments in quantum optics show that two distant events can influence each other faster than any signal could have traveled between them.

There are many articles on this. They phenomena seems to be capable in several forms such as tunneling and by utilizing entangled states (related to the EPR paradox).

Another important aspect is the nothing is traveling faster than light (FTL)!!! Only information.

Tachyons are a bit different phenomena. Normally one assumes that nothing can travel faster than light since it takes an infinite amount of energy to get to c, never mind faster than c. However this problem is circumvented by postulating the existance of particles who are created traveling FTL - hence tachyons were born. See Possibility of Faster-Than-Light Particles, G. Feinberg, Physical Review, Vol 159(5), July 25, 1967, page 1089-1005.

As far as entangled states go there are the articles which I mentioned which I haven't gotten around to reading. e.g.

Can EPR-correlations be used for the transmission of superluminal signals? P. Mittelstaedt, Annalen der Physik (Leipzig)7(1998)7-8, 710-715, Abstract: In a compound quantum system with EPR-like correlations a measurement of one subsystem induces instantaneously changes of the other subsystem, irrespective of the relative distance of the two subsystems. We consider several arguments which were put forward in recent years in order to show that these nonlocal effects cannot be used for superluminal communication. It turns out that the arguments mentioned above are merely plausible but nut not really stringent and convincing. This means that the question in the title of this paper is still open.

Try to keep an open mind. Comes in handy if you want to work in science.

Now, back to scilent more for me as far as zc is concerned - this is only to avoid reading your rude comments i.e. everyother phrase is "you misunderstood" instead of "what do you mean?" If you disagree with someone zc why not simply ask them?

Now I imagine you'll go back to your spamming mode? I hope you have fun. I foresee you having a lot of work for yourself in this area in the comming years. Good luck.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins