Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Not That I Really Disagree With You...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by CL/">CL on September 17, 1999 21:54:30 UTC

: RD: Let's say it over and over again. Space is what's going at the speed of light at the event horizon in our frame far away from the black hole. In the local frame of the event horizon, it is the horizon itself that is traveling at the speed of light in a direction away from the center singularity of the black hole. Therefore it's almost impossible not to fall into a black hole if you are anywhere near it.

Ok.....true, that doesn't sound hard to agree with. That sounds right to me, except that all those initial reasons I gave for not being able to fall into the horizon still hold true. What about the blue shift, and the life of the universe? The lorentz contractions and your feet? I still don't think it's possible to touch that boundary. If the horizon moves at the speed of light in the local frame, then wouldn't the black hole appear to expand at the speed of light in that frame?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins