Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Pole Shifts

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by daViper on July 28, 1999 22:58:35 UTC

: There is evidence in deepearth holes bores that the magnetic poles switch on a periodic basis. Not sure but I seem to recll it happening every 20,00 years and that we are due for one within a thousand years. :::::::::::: I think I may have mis-interpreted his question to mean axial polar shifts, not magnetic ones. I'm aware of these but since his question pertained to Astronomy, I assumed (perhaps mistakenly so) that he meant actual axial polar shifts which to my knowledge have never occurred.

Anyone have evidence to the contrary? I could be mistaken on this but it does not seem likely under the laws of motion to me. What could possibly cause the gyroscope which is the Earth to shift its polar axis.

I know it "wobbles" like a spinning top, with Polaris and Vega being the extreme representatives of the north star at each excentric of the cycle although I can't remember the cyclic length. 24k years?

Could THIS be what he asking?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins