Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Pole Shifts

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by daViper on August 3, 1999 19:14:44 UTC

: : : :Yes - this is precession, the period is 25,776 yrs.

: Can anyone tell me when this occurred last? : And if we should worry if it happend 25.775 years ago?

: : Gerwin

::::::::::::::::: Not to worry at all my friend. It's not something that happens suddenly.

Imagine a toy top spinning on its little point. Remember how the top goes thru a gentle rocking or wobble motion as it's spinning? The Earth does exactly the same thing as it spins. The wobble takes the aforementioned number of years to complete the cycle of one complete wobble. In other words, it's doing it right now as we speak.

I don't feel anything terribly catastrophic happenning. But....in roughly half that time, Vega will become the north star (again) and at the end of that wobble cycle we'll be right back where we are now with Polaris as the north star.

As far as I know, this hasn't caused any problems with any creatures I can think of. Well, maybe some celestial navigation ones, but it looks like we got over it.

:-)

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins