Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Space....

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Tomislav Strelar/">Tomislav Strelar on September 27, 1998 10:29:32 UTC

: Space is by no means empty. While it might seem so with such words as "vacuum" and "space" (both of which imply something that is empty) being used, this is missleading. Space is more of less the foundation of reality, it was created with the big bang and expands, contracts, and moves with the universe. Space can be thought of as a four-dimensional surface (four spacial dimensions that is) in which the three dimensional objects of our reality sit. Space is all around us, yet it can be warped, contorted, twisted, spun, and torn, just like a piece of cloth. Space is also far from empty, it is alive with constant quantum flucuations with particals springing into existence then disappearing, microscopic wormholes opening and closing in an instant (more theoretical), and of course radiation from stars constantly seeping through all of this. A large object warps space, such as a star or a dense galaxy, pulls things towards it, I'm sure you've seen the two-dimensional representation of this, you know those things that look like a funnel. Well in real space, this does happen more of less but with an added dimension, as I said before three dimensional objects are sitting in (from a three-dimensional perspective), or on (from a four-dimensional perspective) a four-dimensional surface which is warped and pulled and such from influencing forces (like Captain Kirk saying "Warp speed Mr. Scott!"). I am not an expert here, so there might be many things incorrect in what I just said, but I hope it answers some of your questions.

You are keep saying that you are not an expert, but according your posts, I must say that you know few things about this.

So, could you tell me what do you think about theory of finite space wrapped around 4th spatial dimension. I have told a little story in one of my previous posts (actually it's not my story but I would like you to tell me what you think)

Here goes:

Maybe the Universe goes forever but it isn't infinite. Maybe we are living in the universe that is wrapped around 5th dimension (if the time were 4th).

Let us imagine a plane and 2D creatures that are living there. Those creatures doesn't know anything but their 2 dimensions (and time as 3rd). Now, let's bend(maybe not the right word) that plane and create a sphere.

The 2D creatures are now living in(on) a "plane" that goes on forever but it isn't infinite. If they draw a lines from one point of that sphere in every direction, the lines would meet in a single point on other side of the sphere.

Maybe we are also living in that kind of closure (of course 3D with time as 4th) wrapped "around" 5th.

Tomislav

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins