Back to Home

Blackholes2 Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes II | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Space....

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mark Peterson/">Mark Peterson on December 6, 1998 07:38:27 UTC

: : At the risk of sounding arrogant I'm going to assume that when you said I know few things you meant I know a few things. If I am wrong, correct me. However falling back on your theory about our three-dimensional universe being curved in a higher spacial dimension and having finite size while going on forever, this is one of the most interesting theories in cosmology (in my opinion) but is hardly new. I really couldn't say whether it is true or not, it seems possible but would be difficult to prove without hoping in a spacecraft, firing up your special many-times-faster-than-the-speed-of-light-engines and flying off in any one direction in space. If you end up back where you started in however many years (could be thousands or trillions or more) you know the universe curves back on its self life a four-dimensional sphere, a sphere on whose surface we exist (remember that a four-dimensional surface would be three-dimensional). We may know someday, but that will likely be centuries from now. However if indeed the universe does curve back on its self this brings up some interesting ideas. If the universe is expanding and will do so forever, for example, then won't all that matter just end up right back where it started, ie. another Big Bang? There are other things I'm sure as well that are related to this, but at the moment I can't really think of any. I know a bit about this because I read a lot and think a lot. Hope this helps some.

: -Paul : When I said that you know few things I meant that you know more than just few things :o)

: I know that this theory isn't new, I mentioned : Albert Einstein. I read this in his theory of : relativity (I don't know if this is the right : translation since I am not from English speaking : teritory, so I appologize if the translation is : incorrect).

: Anyway, this is the most reasonable theory about : space I ever heard, and I mostly agree with you. : But there is something in your post I am not so : agreeable. The part that space will never BigBang : again.

: In center of the galaxies exists a giant black hole : that sucks all matter(and spacetime)in it. : Maybe when all of the matter and spacetime is being : "sucked in" it will "bigbang" again to create a new : universe. That's what I think, I didn't read so much so : I am not sure I am the only one who think so. So : I am asking all of you to agree or disagree with me.

: Thanks.

: : Tomislav Dear Paul

I am not nearly as educated as you obviously are. However I disagree on one point you made. That point being, that we won't know perhapes for several centuries whether our universe is four dimentional. Mearly 50 years ago just think of all the things that we believed we'd never know. Oviousely measuring the universe in that detail is far beyond our current technowlogy, but you never know what's around the corner. I believe stating that something will never happen, is almost always setting yourself up for precognitive failure.

Sincerly, Mark

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins