Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
To Indi.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Keith N. Tullis on May 30, 2004 17:44:47 UTC

I needed time to look up something for you in the book "E-mc2" I mentioned. A lady named Cecilia Payne, On page 176, if you read it; she entered Cambridge in 1919 and singlehandidly showed through her observations of the sun's spectrum that it was "Not" made up of 60% iron as was the idea of the day, Everone thought that that much heat had to be burnt from something very heavy - - - NOT. Hydrogen is what she said was there. 90% to be more precise. The reputations of some very prominant people were at stake here and she was ridiculed for four years before she was vindicated. She showed them all that the only fuel needed was floting, right there, in great abundance, in space. And therefore proved that a star is little more that a hugh "E=mc2 pumping station". Bring in mass, process it, release energy.
Hope you've found this intresting.
L8R
--"After all is said and done, "Gravity Rules".--

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins