Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Are You Aware Of The Fundamental Split In Physics

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Clerk on May 29, 2004 12:25:45 UTC

Having read all you suggest and more, I am wondering if you understand the split between those who do theory with a spacetime background and those who derive spacetime from more fundamental principles.

The distortion of spacetime is derived from more fundamental principles in Einstein's General Relativity where there is no such thing as a gravitational field. This work is being carried forward today by the Loop Quantum Gravity Theorists who can even derive the existense of space nand time from more fundamental units called loops. Still no gravity.

On the other side of the split are Newton and the particle theories and finally the String Theorists. They invoke a static spacetime background which allows from gravitational fields and gravitons.

My uneducated view is that the two sets of theories are dual, but that the LQG theories are more fundamental.

J

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins