Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Responses To The 12th Moon Of Jupitor

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on June 12, 2003 12:27:01 UTC

Leesa,

Here is what I was responding to in Draco post

Draco said
"If were able to dig a whole through the north pole to the south pole and were to crawl through this hole you would be crushed from the gravity of the center of the earth."

My response is that you would not be crushed unless the hole collapsed. You then said a black hole cannot collapse. Hawking might disagree, but you did not read what I said carefully.

Then in another post you said:

"We KNOW what the universe looks like. It's spherical but pinched on the ends."

Perhaps you know this. But since we astronomers cannot see to the edge of the universe, indeed we do not even know if it has an edge, (the flat universe and open universe theories say nay), we do not know the shape of the universe.

If I remember correctly, the National Geographic was talking about the shape of a black hole. And even this is just theory. Some black holes may look like that, but it is not likely that all do.

However, since the National Geographic backs up all their claims with photography, I took the liberty of assuming they presented similar evidence of the shape of the universe.

Your declaration of knowing the shape of the universe is a calibration point of your scientific education. But no hard feelings. All of the animosity you perceive in posts to you are actually directed to me. In am the Harvard guy and the star guy.

Regards,

Richard

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins