Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Hawking Radiation

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by David A. J. Seargent on May 23, 2003 02:55:26 UTC

This question arose upon reading a New Scientist article, sometime last year, about Hawking radiation at the event horizons of black holes. The article also discussed the analogous generation of Hawking radiation at the de Sitter horizon of the observable universe. My initial question to the author of the article concerned the observer-dependent status of the de Sitter horizon with the consequence that two virtual particles which for observer A existed at the de Sitter horizon could lie well within the de Sitter horizon of observer B. It seemed to me to demand a paradox that a particle, which for A became a real particle with an effectively unlimited lifetime, would remain virtual (and therefore be almost instantaneously destroyed) for B.
The author (whose name I cannot remember) mentioned that other readers pointed out the same apparent paradox and he suggested that Time Dilation might come to the rescue in the sense that, for A, the virtual particles at the de Sitter horizon would appear to take an infinitely long time to disappear over the horizon. My immediate problem with this is that it would seem to preclude the very existence of Hawking radiation. I shared this concern with the author in a second e-mail, after which he admitted that the problem was too hard and advised that I contact “an expert in the field”! However, subsequent letters to other people have not fared any better.
Another problem in my mind is that if Time Dilation is indeed relevant, would it not be relevant also at the event horizon of a black hole and would this mean that black hole evaporation should take an infinite time?

David A. J. Seargent

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins