Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Oops - Just For The Fun Of It

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Duane Eddy on April 10, 2003 01:50:59 UTC

Just for the fun of it I took a condition where three balloons were positioned in a straight line at equal increments.

The time required for two balloons to touch is the same as the time required for three balloons to touch. ( This was done with a thought experiment.)

When three objects of equal mass are located similarly to the balloons and are allowed to fall together by gravitational attraction. The time required for the three objects to touch is larger then two objects.

The time for three objects to touch is
T = ln( 3/2 x M x G ).

The time for two objects to touch is
T = ln ( M x G )

M equals the mass of one of the objects

G is the gravitational constant.

I assumed the initial size of the objects were relatively small compared to the initial distance between the objects.

This is not to say that this error can’t be compensated for with some additions to your theory but some modification are necessary if this theory is to explain known experimental evidence.

If you want a copy of the calculations to check them let me know.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins