Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Asinine?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by J Raymond Redbourne on November 13, 2002 14:30:04 UTC

Let me tell you about "models that work".

They work in cyberspace, and bear no necessary relationship to the physical realities of Universe Structure and Dynamics.

True Physics puts satellites in orbit, and gives us the best chance of survival in car crashes.

Theoretical Physics is ongoing investigation into areas of science not yet understood. It is based upon hypotheses. That's why there is so much argument.

No one argues about the physics of fly paper, toilet paper or writing paper. Even brand new aircraft designs are typically successful on the maiden flight.

Have a look at 3D Studio Max. It's a 3D Animation program that can create any kind of a model.

Now have a look at Shrek. Holding a 110-lb little lady in space with no apparent means of support, frozen in time, then snapping out it to kick the living Language Removed out of two 220-lb men, is not real, no matter how much you want it to be. Donkeys don't talk in my universe.

Yet these animation models are mathematically correct, and "work". We even laugh and cry at them. But they're NOT REAL!!!

In a similar manner, there is far too much emotional attachment to the Relativity model.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins