Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Learn Electronics

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by J Raymond Redbourne on November 12, 2002 22:07:21 UTC

You speak of inductive reactance and blatantly state that capacitive reactance does not exist.

If what you say is true, then darn, the operation of tank circuits is just an illusion.

ELI: Voltage leads current through a pure inductor (by 90-degrees).

ICE: Current leads voltage through a capacitor.

In a tuned-resonant tank circuit, capacitive reactance equals inductive reactance, and they are 180-degrees out of phase.

Sorry, I don't have an electronics text to quote the formulae for inductive reactance and capacitive reactance, but rest assured they are standard from a very long time ago.

But anyway, you reluctantly agreed with my mechanical train analogy of the (mechanical) e-m wave through the aether. And I thank you for that.

It is not important to me that I do not know the values of specific variables, but only that those variables exist. I'm not designing a universe, only figuring it out.

Once the mechanics of operation are roughly figured out, then we can go looking for the math to define it accurately.

Repeat: I'm a mechanic, not a mathematician. I will not be able to do the final analysis. And I most likely won't even understand the finished math when and if it is available to me. And I don't care; I'm just doing my part of the project, playing my position in the Task Force. I am not all things to all people and all situations. Universities know this, which is why they have a whole pile of different buildings.

It is not necessary to know all the math for a fishing reel, rod, line and lure in order to just cast the damn thing and catch a fish. In fact some people become very accurate casters, even winning trophies for it, and don't know beans about the engineering math or manufacturing techniques used to manufacture the setup. But you can bet they can tear a reel apart, clean and oil it, and be back out fishing, before any mathematician can even begin to figure it out. What do I care what the threads per mm are on a given screw? I care only that the screw is there, and that I understand how it fits into the working system.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins