Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Here Is An Analogy

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Michael Libbie on March 13, 2001 10:20:29 UTC

suppose that i serve two people a cup of coffee. one person says that it is too hot and the other thinks that it is too cold. so i go an get a thermometer and test the temp of both cups of coffee and find out that the temp of the coffee is 50 degrees celsius. this in itself would be cosidered to be the temperature would it not? but would it be exact? no.
why? because the exact temperature of the coffee will never be known because the thermometer itself changes the temp of the coffee to some degree of measurement. so we could use a smaller thermometer that would decrease the amount of change measured in the coffee but in order to do so to an exact definition the thermometer would have to be infinatly small. which we know is impossible. even with mathematics one could only predict things so far.
as far as electrons go how would we be able to observe an electron when the means of doing so would actually(from what is known about physics and energy) move the electron to a different place.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins