Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Re: So Earth Is Not Slowly Being Sucked In?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by J Raymond Redbourne on March 10, 2001 03:35:42 UTC

It is said that Moon's orbit is also slowly getting closer to Earth. The explanation given is that orbital angular momentum (kinetic energy) is being lost to tidal frictions. I do not have this reference handy. It seems reasonable, but I'm not so sure simply because we don't seem to see evidence of imminent impact of any moons in our solar system. And I also don't have my own theory of Power Wave gravity sufficiently developed to see if P-waves might sustain an orbit against tidal losses. I have to leave that one for the mathematicians and astrophysicists.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins