Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Asymmetric Answer To SDI.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on February 23, 2001 23:12:29 UTC

No. My problem is to stop that deployment. UCS who spearheaded the protest over the Early Deployment sustem, has gone soft in that area. And its leader Henry Kendall has passed away. The most important people who confronted the administration in 1987 decided then that they defeated the SDI prospects for good. But the aerospace industry keeps coming back for the Golden Ring.

The ground based system cannot ever work. Its performance now is no better than in the 1970s. It is just a foot in the door to get to a space based deployment. That can work (ICBMs are easy to hit from space) except for the inherent satellite vulnerability. But I think they see a window of opportunity, because as soon as the ASATs are committed, we would then take out the ground-based ASAT capability. We would lose a few satellites, but win a war of attrition. We might even send up decoy satellites first to draw and exhaust firepower. However, the whole scenario is frought with the risk of a nuclear exchange that would exceed the destructive power of the comet of 250 million years ago. I see the attempt to deply space-based missile defense assets as the most dangerous move ever contemplated by either side. It compells confrontation and reaction.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins