Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Asymmetric Answer To SDI.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Alexander on February 23, 2001 20:50:03 UTC

Interesting. In about the same time (end of 80-s) I was working for USSR Academy of Science on one plasma project. And you know that defense people closely collaborate with academia and both sides frequently arrande seminars/workshops to discuss particular issues. And on one of them we discussed how to shield satellite from far infrared (10.6 mkm CO2) and near infrared (Glass/neodym 1.06 mkm) radiation. Aluminized light ceramics with ablating layers were discussed as they work well in tests. In another seminar ghost aluminum coated mylar baloons were proposed to deploy around real warheads in space to fool enemy's radars and antimissiles (you can deploy and scatter around thousands of them by wery small amount of gas and mylar film due to vacuum yet they reflect radiowaves and light same way as real warhead). Yet another discussion was about blinding antimissile CCDs by small on-board Nd lasers (to attract CCD attention, satellite burns some DMHS (missile fuel with salts which are bright in infrared)).

After that SDI craze wave, I remember, Gorbachev announced that our answer to SDI will be asymmetric.

By the way, with Bush trying to resurrect SDI (now BMDO) you may find more employment opportunities in the area.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins