Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
WAIT A SECOND HERE! MAYBE I'VE GOT SOMETHING!!!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Rich on January 10, 2001 22:21:54 UTC

Does anyone know what time really is? If time can flow differently in two situations, then that means that time is a physicality. Now as we move towards the speed of light, time appears to slow down. Why?
How about this, if no one has come up with it yet. I'm assuming the universe is expanding at the speed of light right? If this is so and if we move at the speed of light, time seems to slow down incredibly. Perhaps, time is created by the actual expanding of the universe. The farther the universe expands, which is at a constant rate, the more time that passes, which seems to be, in general, a constant rate, calling out the differentials as a result of spacetime disruptions. Some parts of the universe, time is slowed down, like at a blackhole because of a massive disruption in spacetime. The same holds true with a star or a planet, just not to the same extent. If moving at the speed of light nearly stops time, it is only because we are moving equally with the expansion of the universe, and therefore we don't experience the time created from the expansion. Why not? Because of this. Say your on Earth, and the universe is expanding. At T1 the edge of the universe is x1 lightyears away. At T2 the edge of the universe is now x1 + y lightyears away. So the distance that the edge of the universe is now from earth (x1 - (x1 + y)) is y. Time is somehow translated from or somehow a result of the distance y. This would be consistant with Relativity because as you near a speed of the speed of light, time begins to slow down, or the Y from the equation begins to get smaller. Not if you are going 50 mph but 0.1c, does this happen. If you are moving the speed of light, in a rocket, the distance at T1 from the edge of the universe is x1 lightyears away. At the same T2 as on earth, the distance the rocket moving at the speed of light from the edge of the universe is STILL x1. (x1 - (x1)) is 0. Even Jisbond knows that... I think. So time would seem to stop at the speed of light.
Consequences? If the universe stopped expanding, then time would cease to be created and that's why the universe can't contract and squish itself! Because that would be in direct violation of the 2nd law of Thermodynamics, the law of choice of stupid creationists. Time would have to halt and then reverse for the universe to fall back in on itself. It could slow down and eventually stop, but the result of that, I have no clue.
Any thoughts?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins