Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Preserving Context

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Jim Bergquist on January 2, 2001 09:07:53 UTC

When we use the Schwarzschild geometry, we have to remember from what perspective the equations are written. Loss of context can induce errors in perception and lead us astray. As I have mentioned to Bladesinger the distant observer is not necessarily well informed. In the local frame of reference, assuming c = 1, the metric is:

ds^2=-dt'^2 + dr'^2 + ...

The COBE experiment indicated that the background radiation was essentially uniform with small variations in angular distribution. This may be interpreted as our neighborhood of the universe being in equilibrium with this background radiation. This would be the local frame of reference. If we traveled in some direction at relativistic speed, this result may change and if so we could use this to determine v/c.

I am not familiar with your use of the subscript "shell" for a local frame of reference. Could you direct me to a source that uses this formulation?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins