Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Re: Re: One Aspect Of Einstein's Theory

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Bruce on November 27, 2000 20:33:45 UTC

For example lets say it is you falling (radially) towards the singularity and that you are ~ 2 meters in length. This 2 meters represent dr in the r(ouch) equation. The center of the 2 meters is the free float frame and there is stretching due to tidal forces between the center of your body and your head and stretching due to tidal forces between the center of your body and your feet. Tidal forces also push the sides of your body towards the center. r(ouch) is where this astronaut stretching would become uncomfortable for you as you fall based on the assumption that a tidal acceleration of 1 g (Earth) would be where it would become uncomfortable for a human.

G/c^2 = 6.6726x10^-11 (meter^3 * kilogram * second^-2) / 8.9876x10^16 (meter^2 * second^-2)
= 7.424x10^-28 (meter * kilogram^-1).

The equation for converting M (mass) to a length (meters) is
M(meters)=G/c^2 * M(kg)= (7.424x10^-28 mkg^-1)M(kg)
For one solar mass this is 1477 meters which makes the Schwarzchild radius r=2M=2954 meters.

I'm working through a great introduction to General Relativity entitled 'Exploring Black Holes', Edwin Taylor and John Archibald Wheeler. You can review the first 2 chapters at Prof. Taylors website (I'll post the address following this post).

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins