Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: One Aspect Of Einstein's Theory

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Bruce on November 30, 2000 21:13:00 UTC

Bladesinger-Converting mass (M) to units of length is a common practice, just as converting time to units of length ct. It allows you to get rid of constant such as G and c when doing physics. I don't think this was what you were asking me though. I became familar with the equation r(ouch) and many more from my study using Edwin Taylor's and John Archibald Wheeler's introduction to General Relativity 'Exploring Black Holes'. Developing this equation was the main portion of exercise 6, chapter 2 'Astronaut stretching according to Newton'. The exercise opens up "As you pluge radially inward toward the center of a black hole, you are not physically stress free and comfortable! True, you detect no overall 'force of gravity' accelerating you inward. But you feel a tidal force pulling your feet and head apart and additional forces squeezing your middle inward from the sides like a high quality corset. When do these tidal forces become uncomfortable? We cannot yet answer this question using General Relativity, but Newton is available for consultation, so let's ask him." The problem asks the student to find the Newtonian expression for g in conventional units and then convert to units of length and solve for Earth.
g = M/r^2
g = .00444m / (6.4x10^6m)^2 = 1x10^-16m^-1

From there it asks you to "Take the derivative with respect to r of the local acceleration g to obtain an expression dg/dr in terms of M and r."

dg/dr = |2M|/r^3
dg = 2Mdr/r^3
r(ouch) = [2Mdr/dg]^1/3

This is a great book with a specific intention to make General relativity available to a wider range of folks. It covers everthing in General Relativity which can be covered using the Schwarzchild and Kruzkal-Zerkes metrics, algebra and elementary calculus. This is the presentation which was made by Professor Taylor when he accepted the Oersted Medal for his contribution to education. I'll put it in a post below this.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins