Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Center Galaxy Black Hole?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by silverana on November 26, 2000 08:25:44 UTC

heres sth i found quite interesting to read, it was sent to me by a friend .....

-----------------
Couldn't the 'missing mass' in the Milky Way attributed to dark matter just
be due to the black hole in the center of the galaxy?

No, because all indications are that the mass of any central black hole in the Milky Way is less than
2 million times the mass of the Sun. The amount of proposed dark matter in the Milky Way indicated
by the dynamics of stars in the solar vicinity could be as large as 50 percent of the mass of the stellar
component of the Milky Way or some 100 billion times the mass of the Sun. The dynamics of the
center of our Milky Way make it impossible for such a mass to be there as a black hole, even
though, such a black hole would only be 50 times bigger than our solar system!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins