Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: A Thought On Time

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Robert on November 5, 2000 06:18:12 UTC

This is what I had to say about time back in 1998, as I feel it to be fascinating.

"What is time? A measure of events. Imagine an infinite amount of space in infinite directions filled with nothing (no light, no matter,). Now place a single electron inside this infinite space. Now, from the point of view of the electron traveling at the speed of light, could you tell how fast you were going, or which direction you were traveling? Or even if you were moving at all? The answer is no, with nothing to reference the movement, or event(s) to."

The following is an excerpt from a Websters New World Dictionary on the definition of time...

"(II) a period or interval 1. the period between two events or during which something exists, happens, or acts; measured or measurable interval."

I must say, I was impressed with the many different variations the dictionary has on 'time'.

Based on this, my comment on the 1 cubic meter of space-vacuum is this; Time is a human derived adjective used to recall what has happend, what is happening, and what may happen. To say if it exists or not, is irrelevant without a witness to the event (or lack thereof). To humor the idea that this 1 cubic meter of space-vacuum can be witnessed, time would appear to be at a stand-still, with no recordable or discernable events to distinguish from itself (thus implying that time does not exist, simply because it cannot be used as a tool for measuring events).

Great topic =D

-Tchzarmok

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins