Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: SCARY !!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by FreddieD on July 13, 2000 19:54:59 UTC

A black hole at the center of the milky way is about as scary as the sun being at the center of our solar system. Read the following link... massive black holes exist at the center of most spiral galaxies and ours is, by far, NOT the "mother of all black holes". There are much larger. Our sun orbits this black hole just like our planet orbits the sun... only it takes a huge amount of time to even complete a single orbit. (something in the order of millions of years if I remember correctly) My point is, even if we are in a decaying orbit, it would still take a huge number of orbits to decay to the point where we get sucked in, and a huge number of orbits = billions of years maybe? I can think of many things that are more of an immediate threat.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/astronomy/black_holes_diet_000327.html

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins