Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Photons Have Mass?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mike/">Mike on August 18, 1998 13:54:40 UTC

I'm having trouble understanding: Does that mean that little prism hanging in my mother's rear view mirror bend space and time one way with one set of photons and bend space and time another way with another set of photons? It's the same photons, right?

Can you reflect space and time, the means of which light travels, or is the prism telling the photon that the real shortest distance is in another direction?

: : : One thing I've always wondered, Nothing with mass can : : : go the speed of light...right? : : : Ok, so supposedly photons don't have mass, if they did : : : it would take an infinite amount of energy to make : : : them go the speed of light..right? : : : So, then if photons do not have mass, how is it that : : : gravity effects them? You know like, blackholes : : : have such strong gravity that not even light can : : : escape, stars bend light the goes around them and : : : so forth... : : : Someone please explain this to me... : : : Thanks in advance. : : : Dave

: : : Light is travelling through the shortest way on a surface and : : : the gravity affects the "shape" of the space-time, so light is moving on a bended surface.

: : : Antonio

: name:crash : reply to do photons have mass?

: Photons do not have mass, and the gravity of the black hole does not affect light.

: : The gravity of the black hole affects the : spacetime around it. Light always travels : : in a straight line. In relation to spacetime : : : light bends. We are in space time and it seems to us that light is bending, while actualy it is the space and time around it which is bending.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins