Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Photons Have Mass?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Michael Moosman/">Michael Moosman on September 9, 1998 19:21:29 UTC

light bends. We are in space time and it seems to us that light is bending, while actualy it is the space and time around it which is bending. : So does that mean that Earth's movement too isn't really eliptical but linear in curved spacetime (coused by Sun's gravitation)?

We'll yes, but that's only if you like to think of it that way. You can say everything moves strait, but the plain is bent. A plain is a very simple way of thinking of it. But I just like to say it's bent, because that's exactly what we mean by the word bent. When I say something go's around in circles I don't care if it really is going in a strait line, compared to space-times non-force plain or not. Yes, you can look at it as everythings moving strait and at least 4 dimentions (space-time). Is being bent by gravitation, electromagnetic, weak and strong forces. And the ORIGINAL question is YES, gravity affects photons, they've proven it and just because something is without mass, does not mean that forces don't affect it.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins