Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Tool Base Material?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Scott Ghiz on November 14, 2006 22:20:45 UTC

Hi there. I've used Pour Stone in the past to make grinding and pitch lap tool bases. It was always a relatively drawn out process because the Pour Stone literally took days to fully cure and then it had to be sealed with epoxy which took another day or so to fully cure. The pour stone tools worked quite well, but I've read about dental stone and that it doesn't need to be sealed and it doesn't seem to take very long to set up.

I found a bunch of dental stone stuff @

http://nowakdental.com/

Just search for 'stone'

Has anyone used any of the other Gypsums Stone products? Many of them seem to have better work times and soome look to be pourable [i.e. flowstone]. I'd prefer not to have to seal the tool.

Just wondering before I cast a new tool for a new project.

Thanks for any input!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins