Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Scratches At The 12micron Level...ugh

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by David Gede on December 8, 2003 00:49:29 UTC

OK...what am I doing wrong? I worked all the way down from 80 to 320 grit. I then switched over to the 25 micron. No problems. Not a scratch to be seen. Even under my magnifying glass all looked great.

The first go around I got all the way to the 5 micron level before my first scratch poped up. I went back to 25 micron and worked the scratch out. Then as soon as I went to 12...bang more scratches.

Because of an issue with focal length, I actually went all the way back to the 80 grit level and came back down.

This afternoon I started with the 25 micron again. After about 30 minutes the surface seemed great. No scratches - all even. I cleaned the tool (a tile tool by the way - a concern I will share in a moment) well and even used a new toothbrush to get at the chanels. I used new cleats and even new screws for the cleats. The screw driver was throughly cleaned. I replaced the newspaper on the table.

I changed clothes and waited for everything to dry. I then started with 12 micron. I used a new bowl and spoon to mix the solution. I used a new brush to put the solution on the glass. I worked with the tool on top (the first two attempts were tool on the bottom) for about 25 minutes and then checked the glass.

Along each axis that I was working there were obvious scrathes. Visible with the naked eye with the glass held at an angle.

This is my third shot here on the same piece of glass. I don't think I am being careless with the grits or my clean up.

Any other thoughts? Could the edges of the tiles be causing the scratches at this point? If so, any ideas on what I can do?

Thanks and frustrated...
Dave

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins