Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Focal Lenght Question...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by David Gede on November 20, 2003 13:39:59 UTC

I just want to make sure I understand the results of what I did so I don't go in the wrong direction.

Following some information picked up from a web site, I used a flashlight and card to find the ROC.

I started the 8" glass with a diamond generation of f6.8. This would mean that the fl should be 54.4 inches.

I have worked through the grits and hit some issues using the 5micron powder (scrathes - but that is not the issue). While stepping back I decided to measure the ROC with the flashlight test. The test resulted in a 77" ROC. This would come out to a focal lenght of 38.5" or an f ratio of about 4.8.

I want to lengthen the ROC and the focal length out to about 108 inches and 54 inches respectively.

My solution was going to be to go back to 220 grit with the tool on top until I get a lot closer then work back down to the micron level (keeping a much closer eye on the ROC).

Does this seem correct?

Thanks,
Dave

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins