Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Mirror Quaility

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Robert May on September 30, 2003 21:37:03 UTC

I haven't bought any of the UO mirrors but their other products have all been of high quality.
As to the 1/10th wave rating, I'd believe that when I test it.
1/10th on the surface is 1/5th on the wavefront and if you make that RMS then you really don't mean much. A 1/4th wave accurate on the wavefront is merely diffraction limited according to the old Raliegh test and that just means that the mirror can meet some rather relaxed rules for resolution. If you are discussing RMS then there is a lot more that needs to be involved as a typical 1/4th error on the wavefront could be read as a 1/30th or better wavefront error due to the way that the Root Mean Square calculation is run.
I'd take any mirror of that level of accuracy quoted to a local mirrormaker and have him test it to see what it really is.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins