Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Discovery Scopes

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Robert May on October 7, 2003 01:23:40 UTC

I'd have gotten a mirror quickly if I was staying in the states for a while and verify the quality of the mirror first.
Discovery mirrors are about as good as the others (I live near them and have seen a few of them as a result as local purchases tend to be a bit more frequent with any company - you can just go to the shop and pick it up there instead of all the shipping charges. The mirrors have all been decent ones that I've seen but nothing really outstanding for shape.
The coating reflectance really isn't all that great so, while you may see a little more, the differences won't be that large even for an experienced viewer. I'd not worry about getting any of the advanced coatings as a result.
This is probably your first scope and you want everything to be perfect but you have to remember that you can get more performance out of a slightly larger mirror than a better coating on the smaller one. Besides, the scope won't be the only one that you will ever own and, in addition, there is no perfect scope. Go buy one of the size you want and enjoy what it does do.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins