Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
How Much Does Size Matter?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Randall Terrell on November 4, 2002 20:06:53 UTC

I'm considering a venture into making a refractor scope (fraunhofer? doublet from Newport Glass). I'm still reading/collecting/reviewing telescope making documents and articles, but I've run into a little grey area. If I'm gonna jump into the wonderful world of glass grinding in a big way, where should I draw the line? I know this is all personal preference and stuff, but that's why I'm asking for guidance.

I've been considering making an 8" scope at about f/14. that seems to be Newports largest production kit run. Well, costs aside, (cuz I don't even want to go there, yet) are there technique or other technical grinding considerations that will arise with the differnce between an 8" refractor and a 10, or even 12 inch one? Keep in mind that I am prepared to make, house, and use a large scope with almost a ten foot focal length. So if i go for a larger diameter faster scope I can keep the length to the same range.

I would appreciate any feed back ya'll might have.
Thanks in advance.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins