Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Costs?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Robert May on October 27, 2002 20:43:54 UTC

Let me put the refractor costs to where they are.
I have a set of 6" glass that will produce an excellent scope of the 6" size. The glass cost me $600 and I did get the papers for the glass.
Go check out the prices for a decent OTA for a 6" scope and figure that the cost of the tube is going to be about $150 retail and the rest is the optics.
I might also note here that if the guy wants to do something different, it's not our place to severely discourage him in his endeavors. Refractors aren't as widely made as Dobs are for obvious reasons but there is a place for a nice refractor of decent size at any star party. My 200" refractor gathers viewers everyplace I set it up.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins