Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
About To Trepan...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Greg Tedford on August 19, 2002 12:38:27 UTC

Just picked up me 7" square by 19mm plate glass from the glass place today. I have mounted the 6" cutter on the headstock of my wood-lathe and have secured the head-stock in a position above the glass-holder on my lathe bed.

I have some scrap pieces of glass to practice on so i can get the pressure on the glass right to cut\grind and hopefully not smash the glass.

I have welded a couple of light welds in four places around the edge of the pipe cutoff i am using for a cutter and ground these to teeth with my angle grinder.

Will these welds\cutting teeth be enough to cut\grind through the glass or do i need many more teeth to help the grinding process?

Will mild steel\welds be good enough to cut\grind the glass or do i have to braze tungsten cutters on the cutter instead?

The glass square only cost me $24 Aus so if this works, i will have very cheap glass circles compared to $115 Aus i was quoted for one circle from the same shop.

If it doesn't work, it just means i can strike this method off my list and try again. There must be a way that the home-handyman can cut\grind his own circles!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins