Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Very Small Mirrors

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Robert May on September 8, 1998 21:48:37 UTC

Ian, Anything less than 3" at a minimum would be generally ineffective for very much. Since you're in a light polluted area, even that can be very small. Portable instruments have been made to some amazing sizes. Consider an Astroscan (5" I think) for a start. It is a very short FL unit that can be handheld for quick views and is quite sturdy and can be pretty much banged about a bit. There have been Cass. scopes that set up in seconds and can be carried in a big fannypack type of case. One fo the famous Amateurs (can't remember his name at the moment) made one many years ago which was a pretty naked set of optics and support for the secondary. If anything, if I was going to make a superportable instrument, the Cass. design allows for pointing and looking at the same direction. The only problem with that design is that anything less than about F8 gets to be rather hard to make and keep aligned well. My best suggestion is to find a small dob type scope that your prof's will allow in the area of the work enviroment. Stargazer Steve just came out with a 6" which is on a tripod and is probably very good for your uses. You might also consider some 15x20 or up to 20x80 binocs. That's my ideas on the subject. Have Fun and Keep Looking Up! Bob May

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins