Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
5micron Or 12.???

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Rick on October 25, 2001 23:00:57 UTC

Hello All;
Just got done reading A.T.M's Archives, about scratches, heres the situation, I do have one minor sleek, not really a scratch and it is in the general area that will be covered by the secondary,(center of mirror) not really a problem because i am sure it will disapper when i polish, but my question is this>>> after a very intense study of the surface of the mirror, i've noticed some very small pits, (very small) presuming they are left over from 12 micron size since i went to the 5 micron,should i worry about these???. I was reading in the archives that most go from 12 micron to polishing,(some from 25 -30 micron) if this is so,then should these polish out or do i have to have even pit size all the way through. i do understand that no matter how much you grind with any one size of grit, you will always have some other pits, its the nature of glass, but are my concerns resonable or should i just polish, hate to do the 5 micron again, was a bugger of a time, but i could grind the glass back to the 12 micron, if i must..........Please let me know what you think, am i nuts...lol, or just over concerned. Thanks

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins